Rain gutters are useful enough on their own, and gutter guards add even more functionality. These guards are special materials that are fitted into the existing gutters with the primary purpose of keeping leaves and other debris from entering, and possibly blocking, the gutter and downpipes. Aside from keeping debris off, gutter guards also discourage birds and rodents from building their homes in the gutters.
The following are the other benefits of gutter guards:
- They lessen the need to clean the gutters since most debris are kept out.
- They prevent blockage that causes gutters to overflow, especially during a heavy downpour.
- They improve the flow of water through the gutters, which is helpful in refilling rainwater tanks quickly when it’s raining.
- They prevent rust due to debris and moisture, making the gutters last longer.
- Insects and vermin will not breed in the gutters since there is less amount of stagnant water within.
Gutter guards are an excellent investment for any homeowner because they’re beneficial in many ways. There are even heated gutter guards that could stop ice dams from forming, and metal guards that are rated for fire protection. After the winter we just had, home owners in many parts of the country fully understand that!